SEO Audit is the first step in SEO.
- If you run a website and want to rank higher in google search then it is important that you start optimizing content and audit your website regularly.
- We all know that SEO is the backbone of a website and you shall start to grade SEO over other things.
Let me give you an example, writing grammatically correct sentences fall in good SEO practices, so if I write this answer with tons of grammatical errors, my answers up and you will see these answers standing at 30th position (example). As everyone wants to get the answer quick, no one will scroll down to look at my answers and all my time writing this answer will go down the drain.
If your website does not appear on the first page of the search engine (Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc.), then there is no point investing your precious time writing a perfect blog.
An SEO audit can dramatically improve your keyword ranking.
What is an SEO auditing?
It is the use of SEO software to check the SEO health of your website (both on-page and off-page SEO). After running the audit, you will get a report with details of errors, broken links, etc. and provide quick win fixes to solve these issues.
What SEO auditing can do?
An SEO auditing can perform the following major task.
- Shows the SEO health of your website with errors and warnings
- Suggest ways to fix them
- Performs comparison with your competitors and suggest a way to improve your page ranking
- Identify the weaknesses of your website and address ways to solve them
- Define error regarding SEO
What are the steps in SEO auditing?
SEO auditing can have the following steps:
- Technical analysis
- On-Page SEO
- Off-Page SEO
What are the key elements of Seo Audit ?
- Website Speed:
Website speed is a major signal in Google’s search ranking algorithms. We encourage you to start looking at your site’s speed, not only to improve your ranking in search engines but also to improve everyone’s experience on the Internet. The response time of the server was 0.48 seconds. The website speed was good when it took less than 2 seconds to load.
- 2. Meta Tags:
- Meta Title – Brief and relevant title is highly preferred by Search Engines and visitors alike. The title tag length should be 60 characters max.
- Meta Des- Brief and relevant description is highly preferred by Search Engines and visitors alike. The des tag length should be 160 characters max.
- Meta Keywords – This meta keywords element (like all meta elements) is invisible to visitors but visible to search engines. The keywords you put into this element’s content attribute would then be used as a ranking factor by the search engines.
- Sitemap.xml- The Sitemaps protocol allows a webmaster to inform search engines about URLs on a website that are available for crawling. You can create sitemap.xml by a tool like https://www.xml-sitemaps.com/
- Robots.txt – Web site owners use the /robots.txt file to give instructions about their site to web robots. Here is robots.txt syntax
- Broken Links- Visitors don’t like websites containing broken links. Its give negative effects on website ranking and increases the bounce rate of your website. There are a lot of free tools who find broken links of your website.
Example – https://www.brokenlinkcheck.com/
- Alt Tag – Alt tags help Search Engines track the theme of the images on your pages. Crawler read only text not a images so its is necessary to aad alt tag on image.
- Heading Tag– An HTML tag is a snippet of code that tells your web browser how to display the content. Heading — HTML has six different heading tags — h1, h2, and so on. The h1 is considered the most important tag, and the h6 is the least important. So used properly heading tags in website.
- Content Density – Content density helps with a website’s Search Engine Optimization (SEO). Websites that take care of content density usually contain content that has keywords and is easy to understand. Providing the right keywords and easy-to-read paragraphs helps websites rank higher in search engines. When a search engine robot crawls a site, it is looking for keywords that will help assign it to the right category and give it the right ranking. The better the ranking, the higher it will appear on a search result listing. This gives it a better chance of being found when users perform searches that contain specific keywords
Types of SEO errors/warnings?
There can be multiple types of errors on your website and if you are doing the SEO audit for the first time in a one-year or more old website, then there are chances that you can be getting one thousand + errors.
Do not panic, it gives you a priority wise list of errors to fix. And let me tell you that you do not need much expertise working on the errors provided by the SEO audit tools. Few of the errors may take less than 20 seconds to correct (using the similar keyword in title as in your focus keyword, using only one H1 heading, etc.).
List of Best SEO Auditing tools in the market
Currently there are more than dozens of SEO auditing tools. These are
- Google Search Console
- GT Metrix
SEMrush – The Swiss Knife
I find SEMrush the best among all SEO auditing tools. In spite of its high price, there are more than 5 million customers using these amazing tools.
You can do almost anything and everything about SEO using this tool. Some of the amazing features include
- Analyzing competitor website and collecting valuable information on backlink, keywords
- Google often changes its algorithm that can affect your ranking, hence it is important to find the tool which is updated continuously. I find SEMrush the most updated tool when compare to its peer
- Few backlinks degrade your page ranking, so it is important to disavow such ranking. SEMrush tools provide this service.
- You can use the keyword gap analysis tool, keyword magic tool, and phrases features that allow you to rank on a hundred or more other keywords that your site may be missing.
If you have performed an SEO audit on your website then I would strongly recommend you to do so. I am sure that you will find that there are numerous opportunities that will help improve your search ranking and bring more organic traffic to your website.