Apache JMeter is an open-source, pure Java platform software which is designed to load test functional behavior and measure performance. It was first developed by Stefano Mazzocchi of the Apache Software Foundation.
What can I do with it?
Apache JMeter may be used to test performance both on static and dynamic resources, Web dynamic applications.
It can be used to simulate a heavy load on a server, group of servers, network or object to test its strength or to analyze overall performance under different load types. Apache JMeter features include:
- Ability to load and performance test many different applications/server/protocol types:
- Web – HTTP, HTTPS (Java, NodeJS, PHP, ASP.NET, …)
- SOAP / REST Webservices
- Database via JDBC
- Message-oriented middleware (MOM) via JMS
- Mail – SMTP(S), POP3(S) and IMAP(S)
- Native commands or shell scripts
- Java Objects
- Full featured Test IDE that allows fast Test Plan recording (from Browsers or native applications), building and debugging.
- CLI mode (Command-line mode (previously called Non GUI) / headless mode) to load test from any Java compatible OS (Linux, Windows, Mac OSX, …)
- A complete and ready to present dynamic HTML report
- Easy correlation through ability to extract data from most popular response formats, HTML, JSON , XML or any textual format
- Complete portability and 100% Java purity.
- Full multi-threading framework allows concurrent sampling by many threads and simultaneous sampling of different functions by separate thread groups.
- Caching and offline analysis/replaying of test results.
- Highly Extensible core:
- Pluggable Samplers allow unlimited testing capabilities.
- Scriptable Samplers (JSR223-compatible languages like Groovy and BeanShell)
- Several load statistics may be chosen with pluggable timers.
- Data analysis and visualization plugins allow great extensibility as well as personalization.
- Functions can be used to provide dynamic input to a test or provide data manipulation.
- Easy Continuous Integration through 3rd party Open Source libraries for Maven, Gradle and Jenkins.
How to Install JMeter
It’s important to always use the latest JMeter version. This is currently JMeter 5.2.1.
Here are the steps you should take:
- Install the latest 64-bit JRE or JDK. This is needed as JMeter is a pure Java application.
- Go to Apache JMeter and find the Binary to download to your computer
- Once downloaded, move this file to your preferred location, extract it and go to the folder and then the bin directory.
- Take a look at the directly. You should see a series of scripts which can run JMeter in various modes.
Congratulations! You have all you need to start working on your test plan.
Quick note: Although JMeter 5.2.1 has all the files you need to build and run most tests, there are some exceptions. Check out the JMeter website for more information.